Geodesy is a geoscience concerned with the determining and measuring the size and shape of the Earth. It also deals with computing the positions of points with utmost accuracy in addition to measuring and describing the Earth’s gravity field and the variations thereof. Land surveying is defined as the science, art and technology of making all essential measurements to determine the relative position of physical and cultural features above, on, or beneath the surface of the Earth, and to depict them in map or digital format. Geodesy and land surveying function to carry out tasks such as the following:
- Establish, update and maintain the national geodetic network.
- Establish and operate a network of continuously operating GNSS positioning reference stations.
- Compute, determine and update the national geodetic reference framework for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and link it to the International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF).
- Establish, update and maintain the national vertical network.
- Establish the (relative and absolute) gravity networks, determine the Earth gravity and magnetic values and intensify them to be used in observing and noting the movements of the Earth’s crust and the shape of the Earth as well as correcting point elevations on the vertical national network.
- Compute, determine and update the national geoid of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Carry out all types of land surveying.
- Set standards and specifications for land surveying work and related activities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.